Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Confessions of a Wall Street Shoeshine Boy" by Dough Stumpf


I had bought this book from Kinokuniya just now, the stories inside obviously like what you read from this post title, a Wall Street Shoeshine Boy story. The English he used very simple and easy to understand, but the inner quality I should say, BETTER than so many so-called WELL KNOWN writers or authors. When I was in high school, I read by Charles Dickens, I read by Jane Austen, I read & by William Shakespeare, etc. After twentieth, I started read John Irving, Adeline Yen Mah, John Grisham, Mitch Albom, etc. But today, I tried on Dough Stumpf, a deputy editor at Vanity Fair magazine, and, this is his first novel. Let’s have a read of the short intro bout this book:


“Brazilian-born Gil is trying to find the American Dream. In the meantime, he polishes the shoes of the superrich and powerful on Wall Street – High-rolling traders as uninhibited as they are ruthless. Gil sees things as few other people do – from the ground up – and his perspective on the day-to-day insanity of the trading floor is priceless. But this fly on the wall overhears one or two things that maybe he shouldn’t. And when a Glossy magazine journalist, desperate for a big break, persuades him to be an undercover source for what may be the biggest insider trading scam in Wall Street history, Gil is catapulted into a danger zone darker than anything he or the journalist could have imagined.”

Of course from the short paragraph above, you’ll feel kinda boring, or you might think, ‘how come she read this kind of book?’ Friend, it’s not talks about SHARE or TRADE, but some inside stories you’ll never came across before in your life time, unless you’re the trader. It’s real but maybe a BIT exaggerate, still, it’s interesting. Before enter the story, there’re 2 sentences wrote on a page, which said by Aguilar (Gil):

MONEY, here you got to HAVE IT, man. If you DON’T have it, you’re just NOBODY.”

Well, I’m strongly agreed with him. At least, I tasted it before. Not to encourage you guys must have a big bunch of money, but we have to understand the rules to survive in this REALISTIC and MATERIALISTIC world, especially in US. I’m living there, but working environment had taught me live with this rules.

Friend who now living in US, you know who I’m talking about, try read it; you’ll get the message I wanted to tell you. To 99% of my friends who are not living in US, you can try on it too, because it won’t harm you.

1 comment:

SoNg $0nG said...

hehe..sure i know who u were talking bout, or i'm just 'perasan'? neways, will try to go get that book...remember i told you i was reading the book '1 litres of tears-chinese version'? still not finish....and the book 'the last lecture' which i may hv told you as well, still not done yet...haha.. not really got time to read them here...tired..haha.. I'll tell you when i buy that book k? hehe..